In line with the General Data Protection Regulation, Lam & Meerabux may collect and process personal data, where it can show that it has done so on one of the following bases:
If the law requires us to, we may be required to collect and process your data. This can include sufficient identity documents from new clients.
Lam & Meerabux can collect and process your Personal Data if it is necessary to comply with our contractual obligations. This could be, for example, if we are instructed to represent you in legal matters.
When collecting or storing any of your personal information, we will clearly explain why we require your data, and for what purposes so that you can make an informed choice.
Collection and Use of your personal information:
Lam & Meerabux collect your Personal Data in the following situations:
- When you visit our website and submit an enquiry
- When you make an initial call to us prior to instructing us.
- When you instruct us in respect of legal matters.
- When you supply financial information to us in order to pay for our services.
- When you engage with us on social media.
- When you contact us by any means with queries, complaints, questions etc.
- We collect data where information is made public as a matter of law.
Lam & Meerabux will collect the following types of personal data:
- Details of your interactions with us via the telephone, email, written correspondence and face to face meetings.
- Copies of documents you provide to prove your age or identity where the law requires this. This may include details such as your full name, address, and date of birth. If you provide a passport, the data we keep will also include your place of birth, gender and nationality.
- Your comments and reviews of our professional services.
Here’s how we’ll use your personal data and why:
- To represent your legal interest or the interest of a client it can be necessary to collect personal data, including sensitive personal data and that relating to allegations of criminal conduct. If we are unable to obtain such data we may not be able to represent you, act in your best interests or fulfil our legal duties.
- To protect ourselves against fraud and other illegal activities.
- We may share information to comply with legal obligations to share data with law enforcement, for example if ordered to do so by a court.
- To represent your legal interests. At times we will be required to share your details with a third party who is providing a service (such as a medical expert or independent barrister). Without sharing your personal data, we’d be unable to represent you in a legal capacity.
Protecting your personal data
Lam & Meerabux solicitors understand that the information we hold on our clients is of the utmost confidential nature, and as such we take data security very seriously. All data is stored on our secure database and is only accessible by staff at Lam & Meerabux.
Sharing your personal data
We do not share your personal data with any third parties without your express consent.
Retention of personal data
Whenever we collect or process your personal data, we’ll only keep it for as long as is necessary for the purpose for which it was collected. In certain cases, we may be required to archive and retain information for a period of 5 years following the conclusion of a client’s matter.
Your rights over your personal data
You have the right to request:
- Access to the personal data we hold about you
- The correction of your personal data when incorrect, out of date or incomplete.
- That we stop any consent-based processing of your personal data after you withdraw that consent.
- You have the right to request a copy of any information about you that Lam & Meerabux holds at any time, and also to have that information corrected if it is inaccurate.
- Your right to withdraw consent
To exercise your rights as detailed above please email: email@example.com or write to us at our head office in Croydon, Surrey.